[ RadSafe ] [Nuclear News] Nuclear Energy Fuels Lecture - FormerNRC Chair...

LNMolino at aol.com LNMolino at aol.com
Tue Nov 27 10:15:34 CST 2007

Comments in line.

LNM

In a message dated 11/26/2007 3:09:39 P.M. Central Standard Time,
FloodJR at nv.doe.gov writes:

I still  find the idea of an RDD attack to have zero credibility.  Every
terrorist  attack that I have heard of has the same objective - a body count.
Every  attack is designed to kill people.  To shift into a mode where the
objective is only to make a mess would be a complete change of personality for
terrorist movements of every type, and I see no value in devoting limited
resources to defeating a type of attack that has never been  attempted.

We said the same things before the use of female Homicide Bombers did  we
not?

Terrorists evolve as does terror. While I tend to agree with the general
statement regarding body counts one must not think for one second that those
that would do such things are not likely to evolve and change tactics. As we
harden targets we open others to attack do we not? If they felt that this would
get them press and put fear in the eyes of the public or damage our economic
engine why would they not evolve in that directions? Of course one could argue
 that we promulgate that by these discussions etc.

And I  agree that a police department that is announcing that an RDD attack
is  inevitable, will succeed because it is unstoppable, and will
be devastating  needs to clean house.  I suspect the department in question
is facing  budget issues and is drumming up public interest to
intimidate the voting  politicians away from budget cuts.
I suspect that you are dead on correct on that point. One thing we must  give
the LE community is the ability to spin anything, a spike in crime is a
crime wave so we need more funds and more bodies and yet better crime  statistics
means we need more funds and bodies etc and they do that VERY  well, much
better then fire and EMS and certainly better then the radiation  community.

Then  again, maybe I've just gotten cynical in my old age.
Cynical is not really all that bad at times.

Louis N.  Molino, Sr., CET
FF/NREMT-B/FSI/EMSI
Owner and President of LNM Emergency  Services Consulting Services (LNMECS)
Freelance  Consultant/Trainer/Author/Journalist/Fire Protection  Consultant

LNMolino at aol.com

979-412-0890 (Cell  Phone)
979-690-7559 (IFW/TFW/FSS Office)
979-690-7562 (IFW/TFW/FSS  Fax)

The comments contained in this E-mail are the opinions of the author  and the
author alone. I in no way ever intend to speak for any person or
organization that I am in any way whatsoever involved or associated with unless  I
specifically state that I am doing so. Further this E-mail is intended only  for its
stated recipient and may contain private and or confidential materials
retransmission is strictly prohibited unless placed in the public domain by the
original author.