[ RadSafe ] Re: Potassium in Coffee

edmond0033 edmond0033 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 2 09:46:17 CDT 2007

Dear Colleagues:

 A few days ago there was some concern about radioactivity in coffee.  Potassium (aslo naturally occuring Potassium-40) is found in coffee (and possibly Cesium-137).  Many years ago we studied this as part of a  Radioauclides in Foods:  Monitoring Program.  This  Program was part of the U.S. Food and Drug administration's Food Survey Program.  The results showed that coffee contains ~ 17-20 g/Kg.  we aslo studied the 'brew' and found a slightly less amount in the brew (a strong brew).  We did the same for tea and the amounts (leaves and a strong brew) were about the same.  We included bannas from various South and Central American countries.  That content was less,  around 3-4 g/Kg.  We knwow that large amounts of of bannas will trigger the alarm (depending upon the setting) of a 'pager'.

There results were published int the Radiation Data and Reports , Vol. 15, No. 10, pp 647-655 (October, 1974)  published by the then Office of Radiation Programs of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.  The Co-authors were Robert E. Simpson, Myself and Charles F. Jelinek.

If anyone has any questions, they can reach me at my E-mail address.

Ed Baratta

edmond0033 at comcast.net