[ RadSafe ] Request for E mail ID of Professor Norman Frigerio; he claimed that he could " feel" radiation

parthasarathy k s ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 1 20:14:17 CDT 2007

Daer Mr Stewart Farber,

I knew that  Professor Norman Frigerio has done some outstanding work;  He published a booklet in 1967  in which he claimed that he and one of his physicist friends(name not given)  could identify  the presence of  radioactive sources by "feeling" it ! The sources  had dose rates of the order of 10 rad per hr.  The radiation emitted  was enough to give them a "tingling " sensation.

Recently,  scientists have demonstrated  that certain species of  birds avoided making nests in areas  of high  radiation levels at Chernobyl. Some of you may recall that  the majority of nests made by some mud-dauber beetles at Oak Ridge National Laboratory  were "radioactive"! Another type of mud-daubers did not use radioactive mud though both had access to the same mud. Apparently the beetles could identify  mud which contained  radioactivity.

This story was published by Time magazine in 1964 (URL http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,897250,00.html ) and was referred to in a popular booklet by Dr Neal O. Hines.  Scientists could not explain these findings then. We are unable to explain now how birds identify areas of  high radiation levels.

You may recall birds and dogs can " listen" to ultrasonics; we cannot. Professor Frigerio was an outstanding radiobiologist. I sought his address to bring all these observations to his attention and to get updated information, if any, from him.

I invite your views on these observations. Obviously, we cannot dismiss any living being as lowly. A few of them are smarter than human beings!

K.S.Parthasarathy