[ RadSafe ] Sr-90 Question

Cindy Bloom radbloom at comcast.net
Wed Oct 17 07:07:48 CDT 2007

Luke,

The rule of thumb you cite is for point source beta emitters and has units
of rad per hour in air per Ci at 1 ft (which is close to per mCi at 1 ft
(30.48^2/1000=0.929).  Also you have to consider the Y-90 (T1/2 = 64 h)
that would likely be in equilibrium with the Sr-90.  Consideration of
geometry, bremsstrahlung production (significant in high energy beta
emitters), and detector composition are a few of the variables that could
effect your readings.  Sometimes manufacturers report actual source
readings in their manuals or literature.  Determining what instrument
response you would expect for a given source and geometry and does not seem
to me to be a trivial task;  it would likely be different for an air
ionization chamber, a GM detector and a tissue equivalent dose meter.

Good luck.

Cindy