[ RadSafe ] Panel wants tighter radiation security

Mercado, Don don.mercado at lmco.com
Thu Oct 18 09:48:02 CDT 2007

Peter Fear wrote:

"Now we are securing these sources at hospitals and I'm sure at research
labs and companies."

Don't these irradiators come under the new "sources of concern" control
requirements that the Department of Homeland Security/NRC have issued?
I've talked to our CA inspectors and they've spent considerable time
over the last year auditing possessors of large sources making sure the
additional security requirements are in place. That includes hospitals.
In light of the increased security requirements, why does this panel
think they need to be replaced? Is this panel even aware of these new
requirements?

Don Mercado