[ RadSafe ] Re: Panel wants tighter radiation security

BLHamrick at aol.com BLHamrick at aol.com
Thu Oct 18 23:46:20 CDT 2007

Clayton,

I was one of the ones that said it was "ridiculous."  My experience  has been
that it is policy and security "experts" driving the elimination of  these
devices, although I am aware that there are some HPs that actively  advocate
their elimination as well.  I agree with you that we must ensure  an equally
effective technology is readily available before eliminating these  devices.  And,
by "readily available," I mean a technology that  is not prohibited by cost
for all the communities served.

We need to have a better way to weigh risks and benefits, because analyzing
risks from radioactive materials as though they were the only risk out there
leads to extremely bad "Chicken Little" policy.

Barbara

In a message dated 10/18/2007 3:51:16 AM Pacific Daylight Time,