[ RadSafe ] Re: Panel wants tighter radiation security

Philip Egidi pvegidi at smtpgate.dphe.state.co.us
Thu Oct 18 12:52:25 CDT 2007

There has been ongoing discussion at NRC and the State level as to what depth and type of controls will be imposed on the various category sources.

The hospital irradiators have considerable quantities in them, more than a well logging source (and even radiography cameras) that you mentioned.

One of the issues about the irradiators is access, they are in busy areas that are difficult to secure/harden, and still provide timely care.
Without going into detail, these recommendations are not being made willy nilly.

Radiography sources and some well logging sources are under already under the lens in many cases, and other types of sources may also come under further scrutiny.  Those controls are not for open discussion on the web, so you may not be aware of what has been done already, and what may be done in the future.  Contact your friendly local regulator if you have a need to know what they are.

There are issues with the efficacy of various aspects of these programs, and those too are being worked on.

While it is fun to arm chair quarterback and throw flames, there are reasons for taking the time to evaluate these recommendations, which are not occurring in a vacuum.
Out.
Phil Egidi
CDPHE

>>> "Dan McCarn" <hotgreenchile at gmail.com> 10/18/07 10:04 AM >>>
Hello Group:

Being a geologist, I thought I might add my two cents into this crazy
discussion:  Apparently, the defense folks skipped the issue about the many,
many neutron and gamma sources currently in use in the petroleum and mining
industries worldwide, not to mention the innumerable "retired" sources.  Every
country that has a potential petroleum or mineral resource has numerous
10-15 Curie sources running around in the bush to remote locations.

The hospitals present a "target" that can be hardened by "normal" Safeguards
measures to make them "resistant" to terrorist attacks.  If they are truly
concerned about this, perhaps the first step would be to initiate more
aggressive active and passive Safeguards measures.  This would be far less
expensive than the alternative.

I remember another discussion about soil density & moisture probes several
months ago being of concern with milliCurie sources.  That seemed to drop
off the public's radar after only a few weeks.

Regards!

Dan ii

Dan W McCarn, Geologist

Albuquerque & Houston