[ RadSafe ] [Nuclear News] Germany proposes early nuclear shutdowns

Sandy Perle sandyfl at cox.net
Sun Sep 2 11:24:23 CDT 2007

Germany proposes early nuclear shutdowns
Call for German nuclear shutdown
Cold War's nuclear toll: 4,000 dead, 36,500 ill
Alberta Nuclear reaction cautious
Bulgaria nuke plant shuts down, no leak reported
Sellafield finds more radiation on beach
Port of Palm Beach adds security devices

Germany proposes early nuclear shutdowns

BERLIN, Sept 1 (UPI) -- Germany´s environment minister says the
country´s seven oldest nuclear reactors should be shut down
immediately.

Germany has pledged to phase out nuclear power by 2020, but Sigmar
Gabriel said recent mechanical issues at two aging plants indicate
older reactors should be switched off right away.

According to the BBC, such a move would likely be opposed by the
plants´ unions. There also are concerns about Germany´s energy supply
given Russia´s aggressive policy on natural gas shipped to Western
Europe, the British network said.

Gabriel, however, proposed that newer plants be allowed to continue
running past 2020.
-----------------

Call for German nuclear shutdown

(BBC News) Sept 2 - The German nuclear industry wants to keep older
plants running longer The German Environment Minister, Sigmar
Gabriel, has called for seven of the country's oldest nuclear
reactors to be closed down immediately. Justifying his demand, Mr
Gabriel pointed to recent breakdowns at two ageing nuclear plants.

Germany is committed to phasing out nuclear power by 2020.

Mr Gabriel told a German newspaper that it would be of great
technical benefit from the safety standpoint to close the oldest
reactors now.

As a trade-off, newer reactors could be kept running longer.

Opinion divided

Mr Gabriel is a member of the Social Democrats, whose previous
coalition government with the Greens drafted the nuclear switch-off
policy.

Now they are sharing power with the more nuclear-friendly Christian
Democrats, they face a battle to maintain the strategy.

But if there is to be any trade-off in capacity, the nuclear
industry, including the unions, would rather give up some output from
newer plants to keep the older ones going longer.

It is technically feasible: in the United States, some plants have
had their design life of 30 years doubled. But it would require a
political about-turn.

So far, two of Germany's 19 nuclear plants have been shut down.

European opinion on nuclear power is divided in the face of Russia's
growing assertiveness in the gas and oil markets, not to mention the
need to meet targets for reducing carbon emissions.

As a result of a referendum after the Chernobyl disaster, Italy shut
down the last of its four nuclear plants in 1990, but it is now one
of the world's largest net importers of electricity, and the policy
is under review.

France, which generates 80% of its electricity from nuclear power,
shows no signs of stopping.

Finland in 2002 gave the go-ahead to build a fifth nuclear plant,
pioneering the new European Pressurised Reactor - ironically, using
Italian technical know-how.
-------------

Cold War's nuclear toll: 4,000 dead, 36,500 ill

DENVER (AP) Sept 2 - At least 4,000 people died as a result of
nuclear projects during the Cold War, and 36,500 became ill with
radiation-related diseases, the Rocky Mountain News  reported.

The News  said Friday that it collected the numbers by examining
records from federal projects involving uranium, including building
and testing bombs, but did not include people who had never filed
claims or had claims rejected. People who mined uranium, built bombs
or inhaled dust from bomb tests were included in the tally.

Beginning in 1945, 70,000 atomic bombs were built. About 15,000
workers made plutonium triggers at Rocky Flats. Of the 36,500 who
became ill, about 15,000 were involved in the manufacture of bombs.
The radiation they were exposed to sometimes took years to affect
them. Some of them ultimately may have died as a result of their
work, but were not listed among project deaths by the government.
Hundreds of thousands of people, including soldiers, were exposed to
radiation from nuclear tests.

"In those days, we were training military personnel to fight a
nuclear war. The Department of Defense had to know the effect on
soldiers, sailors and airmen who moved within hours into a hot zone,"
said R.J. Ritter, who now runs the National Atomic Veterans
Association and lobbies for aid to those contaminated troops. "Nobody
had a clue what would happen years later from inhaling those
particles."

Although many of those exposed were not warned of the danger,
lawsuits have revealed that government officials were aware.
Officials first admitted the problem in the 1980s, but finding
records of those affected remains difficult.

"A lot could have been prevented if they had given the least bit of
warning," said J. Turner of the group www. downwinders.org.
-------------

Alberta Nuclear reaction cautious

(Calgary Sun) Sept 2 - Opposition parties want government to come
clean on risks of proposed nuke facility

The fallout from a proposed nuclear power plant in northern Alberta
has opposition parties demanding full disclosure from the provincial
government on the $6.2-billion project's environmental and financial
risks.

Calgary-based Energy Alberta has applied to the Canadian Nuclear
Safety Commission to build two Candu nuclear reactors on a site 30 km
west of Peace River, a project Liberal Leader Kevin Taft said he
fears is being railroaded through the initial application stages
without public disclosure.

"We are very, very skeptical about Alberta going nuclear -- the
environmental and other costs of this project worry me deeply," he
said.

"I think there are better choices and I am not comfortable with the
process through which this has come forward."

One thing that worries Taft is the fact a client has stepped up with
an offer to buy 70% of the electricity generated by the plant, but
the province so far hasn't identified the interested party.

"My hunch is this is being pushed not for the benefit of the people
of Alberta, but for the benefit of the people who bought the
franchise to do nuclear power here," he said.

"It's a commitment that we make today that will be a responsibility
for centuries to come and I don't think we should make those
decisions in a hurry."

Meanwhile, NDP environment critic Dave Eggen pointed out the project
was originally slated to be built further south, near Whitecourt.

"I found it interesting that once the people of Whitecourt started to
learn a little bit about the scope of the plan and asked for more
time and information, this company packed up and went to another
place," he said.

"A year ago, I'm sure nobody in Peace River had even thought about
the possibility of a nuclear power plant there."

Energy Minister Mel Knight has said the province is neither for nor
against the project and is not involved in the initial stages of the
application, which falls under federal jurisdiction.

He said if the process moves to the public hearing phase, there will
be full consultation on the project.

"What (Premier Ed Stelmach) has said, and what I agreed to, is that
there will be no project development in the province without
consultation with Albertans," said Knight, adding the province has a
neutral position on nuclear power development.
---------------

Bulgaria nuke plant shuts down, no leak reported

SOFIA, Bulgaria (AP) - There's been an emergency shutdown at a
nuclear power plant in Bulgaria, but the operators say there's been
no radiation leak.

The plant on the Danube River went into an automatic shutdown today
but the operators aren't sure why. It's also not clear what will have
to be done to get the unit running again.

The reactor is at Bulgaria's only nuclear power station. Two other
Russian-built reactors there were permanently shut down last year
because of safety concerns, as a condition for Bulgaria's entry into
the European Union this year.
-----------------

Sellafield finds more radiation on beach

(North-West Evening Mail) Aug 31 - THE amount of radioactive material
found on west Cumbrian beaches is likely to increase, say Sellafield
bosses.

It´s all because their new radiation tracking device, known as the
Groundhog, operates at half speed and is more likely to pinpoint

radioactivity.

That is what Sellafield claims in its latest newsletter.

Green activists, however, insist the company is attempting to cover
up the increase by blaming the sensitivity of the new monitoring
equipment used.

When the last set of figures came out in July they were questioned by
environmental campaigners for showing that the number of radioactive
finds had almost doubled in a month.

Originally, it showed 35 finds were made.

This was later updated by Sellafield to 69.

Sellafield will use their Groundhog device to carry out a new survey,
but

because it will operate at half speed they expect to find more
radioactive

material on the beaches around the site.

Bosses say the beaches will remain safe to use while the work goes
on.

Martin Forwood of pressure group Cumbrians Opposed to a Radioactive
Environment said: "I think the fact they are anticipating the rise in
their newsletter is remark able. While we welcome them being more
open about it this news points to Sellafield admitting there is a
problem which needs addressing. This Groud hog is problematic, as
whatever it finds it does not detect alpha radiation like plutonium."

A Sellafield spokesperson said: "This equipment is new, so we thought
it prudent to inform staff and members of the public that we were
using vehicle mounted equipment so as not to cause alarm if it was
spotted on the beach.

"The Groundhog monitoring system does not detect alpha radiation but
does detect radiation from Americium 241, which is associated with
Plutonium isotopes.

"We believe that we are being open and transparent by communicating
the anticipated finds which we expect during the next phase of
monitoring.

"The half speed monitoring is designed to find particles at lower
activities, if they are present.

"It is difficult to predict the number of finds but it is reasonable
to expect more finds due to the increased sensitivity of the
monitoring equipment at the lower speed."
---------------

Port of Palm Beach adds security devices

(Sun-Sentinel) Sept 1 - The technology, called Radiation Portal
Monitors, will help authorities better detect any nuclear weapons and
"dirty bombs" entering the United States. It will also increase the
number of cargo loads that can be checked. About 80,000 containers
pass through the port annually.

"They allow us to protect people better without disrupting the flow
of commerce," said Harold Woodward, director of field operations for
Homeland Security's Miami division.

New technology protects U.S. ports against terrorism Video
The radiation monitoring system is the latest addition to the port's
layered approach to security enforcement, which includes gamma ray
and X-ray imaging systems, K-9 search teams and video cameras.

"Every piece of documentation that comes out of Washington, D.C.,
speaks the necessity of layering security protection," said Ken Hern,
director of port security for the Port of Palm Beach.

The port completed installation of the portal monitors at its main
gate last week, and officials plan to have another put at the south
gate, said Zachary Mann, special agent and spokesman for U.S. Customs
and Border Protection's Miami division.

"So far there hasn't been any activity, but we're excited about what
it can do," he said.

A truck carrying foreign cargo would be directed through a portal. If
the system detects radiation, it sends an alert to a control station.
The truck is pulled over and the cargo inspected using a hand-held
detection device, which tells what type of radiation it is.

Sometimes the device will pick up an "innocent alert" - radiation
from naturally occurring elements.

Every container - carrying everything from plantains and kitty litter
to roof tiles - that arrives from a foreign port passes through a
monitor.

Previously, Customs and Border Protection officials had to check
cargo for radiation using the hand-held devices. They could check
only about 95 percent, Woodward said, but with the new system they
can check all of the cargo passing through the port.

Currently, there are 28 active devices at ports throughout the state,
with nine more planned, he said. Panama City and Port Everglades
haven't been outfitted with the device yet.

They hope to have the radiation monitoring systems at all major
seaports by 2008.

"This works smart," Woodward said. "I live in [Palm Beach County] and
I can rest better at night knowing the Radiation Portal Monitors are
up."

Sander C. Perle
President
Global Dosimetry Solutions, Inc.
2652 McGaw Avenue
Irvine, CA 92614

Tel: (949) 296-2306 / (888) 437-1714 Extension 2306
Fax:(949) 296-1144

E-Mail: sperle at dosimetry.com
E-Mail: sandyfl at cox.net

Global Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com/