AW: [ RadSafe ] TLD Readings in Checked Luggage

Doug Aitken jdaitken at sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com
Thu Sep 6 15:51:26 CDT 2007

Thanks, Sandy:
Obviously, when a badged individual is receiving his dose in a fixed
workplace, it is a lot easier. Unfortunately, in the oil patch, well
logging and inspection personnel are moving around to a bunch of temporary
workplaces. And these movements can involve both fixed-wing commercial
flights and helicopter flights to offshore rigs. So they must carry their
badges with them. We instruct our people to carry their dosimeters on them
when travelling, rather than in baggage, and put them with their keys,
etc., when passing through personal portals to avoid these doses. But of
course, there are times when they forget, leave them in their hand baggage
and pass them through inspection equipment. We even have a couple of cases
where the inspection personnel would not let them leave them free from
inspection and passed them through the scanner! (duh! highly trained and
motivated security personnel working for little more than minimum
wage......  What can we expect....)

We have a pretty good idea of the occupational exposure our personnel
receive from the various procedures they do with sources, and every time we
have what we consider an "abnormal" dose (by internal regulation, this is
5mSv / 500mrem in any quarter) a rigorous investigation will be made,
including analysis of all source manipulations AND air travel, to attempt
to identify the cause. A number of cases have indicated that badges put
through scanners here in the States (whether in checked baggage or hand
baggabe) can give a significant dose of probably something more than 1 msv
/ 100 mrem (but the actual amount from those exposures is no more than a
"guestimate"

Regards
Doug

At 03:12 PM 9/6/2007, Sandy Perle wrote:
>Hi Doug,
>
>You pretty much said it all. What makes a dose attributable to the checked
>baggage scan is when the individual typically does not receive measurable
>exposure or not much more than minimum reportable from their routine
>occupational work where very little exposure is received. If an individual
>typically receives between 0.1 and 0.5 mSv each badging period, takes a trip
>and the dosimeter when processed reads 1.5 mSv, one can hypothesize that the
>exposure was due to the checked baggage scan. The higher the exposure that a
>worker receives, and especially if there is fluctuation in the exposure
>received from period to period, the actual quantity of exposure due to the
>checked baggage scan, will be difficult to determine. Yes, one would be
>aware of the fact that the X-Ray unit caused a dose, it just can't be
>quantified whereby the total dose on the dosimeter can be parsed, and an
>estimate used for the period where there was this non-occupational exposure.
>In the NPP there is always a secondary dosimeter worn along with the TLD or
>other dose of record dosimeter, and that can always be sued in lieu of the
>primary dosimeter.
>
>In conclusion, checked baggage X-Ray Scanners do put out a significant
>exposure, each and every time a dosimeter goes through one of them. If the
>individual never received dose or very little, one can subtract out the
>estimated scanned dose. If one typically receives higher doses that is
>variable, relying on the secondary dosimeter for the time occupational dose
>is received, assigning that, would be the most prudent thing. Trying to
>parse out a dose is nearly impossible, unless the dosimeter is only used for
>the specific trip in question.

Doug Aitken                     Cell Phone    713 562-8585
QHSE Advisor
D&M Operations Support
Schlumberger Technology Corporation