AW: [ RadSafe ] Medical examinations

Rainer.Facius at dlr.de Rainer.Facius at dlr.de
Wed Sep 12 07:09:51 CDT 2007

Yehoshua,

the German Radiation Protection Ordinance from 2001 classifies radiation workers into two categories. Category A comprises workers who are prone to receive more than 6 mSv effective dose per calendar year from exposures at their workplace. Category B comprises radiation workers not belonging to category A who are apt to receive more than 1 mSv per calendar year from exposures at their workplace.

Radiation workers of category A are subject to an annual medical from an "authorized" physician who has to certify that continued employment as radiation worker is not "counter-indicated". If surveillance of a worker of category B reveals that the annual 6mSv effective dose limit has been surpassed, his/her continued deployment as a radiation worker for the rest of the current calendar year requires the same medical certificate as the examination of category A workers.

Not being a physician, I do not envy the colleague who has to certify that continued deployment of a category B worker whose dosimetric record as of say October shows an annual exposure of 6.1 mSv may or may not be employed as radiation worker for November and December. :-)

Kind regards, Rainer

Dr. Rainer Facius
German Aerospace Center
Institute of Aerospace Medicine