[ RadSafe ] News: Thundercloud "accelerator" fires gamma-ray beam

Peter Bossew peter.bossew at jrc.it
Mon Sep 17 06:26:57 CDT 2007

Interesting article. Thanks for the reference.
Similar findings in

Dwyer et al. (2004): Measurements of x-ray emission from
rocket-triggered lightning
GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH LETTERS, VOL. 31, L05118, doi:10.1029/2003GL018770,
2004

Abstract

We report measurements of the x-ray emission from rocket-triggered
lightning, made during the summer of 2003, using four instruments placed
between 15 and 40 m from the lightning channels. X-rays were measured
0–80 ?s just prior to and at the beginning of 73% of the 26 return
strokes observed. The emission was composed of multiple, very brief
bursts of x-rays in the 30–250 keV range, with each burst typically
lasting less than 1 ?s. The x-rays were primarily observed to be
spatially and temporally associated with the dart leaders with a
possible contribution from the beginning of the return strokes, with the
most intense x-ray bursts coming from the part of the lightning channel
within ?50 m of the ground. Because triggered lightning strokes are
similar to subsequent strokes in natural lightning, it is likely that
x-ray emission is a common property of natural lightning.

and in an internal document of the German Bundesamt für Strahlenschutz
(federal radioprotection agency),
Stöhlker et al.: Fachliche Weiterbildung des
BfS-Radioaktivitätsmessnetezes etc., 2006, which discusses effects of
lightnings as short gamma pulses recorded by the German early warning
system., see att. graph. (The increase og the GDR for about 4 hours is
due to Rn progeny washout).

Also an event recorded by the EURDEP system (http://eurdep.jrc.it/),
station LU0077, 27 Feb 2007, has been interpreted by the operator as
lightning induced gamma flash. (discussed in the AIRDOS report, AIRDOS
(2007): Bossew, P, De Cort, M., Dubois, G., Stöhlker, U., Tollefsen, T.,
Wätjen, U.: AIRDOS, Evaluation of existing standards of measurement of
ambient dose rate; and of sampling, sample preparation and measurement
for estimating radioactivity levels in air. AA N° TREN/NUCL/S12.378241,
JRC ref. N° 21894-2004-04 A1CO ISP BE. (to be published))

Peter Bossew

Peter Bossew

European Commission (EC)
Joint Research Centre (JRC)

TP 441, Via Fermi 1
21020 Ispra (VA)
ITALY

Tel. +39 0332 78 9109
Fax. +39 0332 78 5466
Email: peter.bossew at jrc.it

WWW: http://rem.jrc.cec.eu.int

"The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any
circumstances be regarded as stating an official position of the European
Commission."