[ RadSafe ] Publication : Bioremediation of Radionuclides: EmergingTechnologies

Tue Sep 25 13:23:02 CDT 2007

Hi, John.

>From the following passage:

"Currently, no efficient technology is available that can store the
radioactive wastes with adequate safety. Therefore, bioremediation of
radionuclides/radioactive waste is an unavoidable necessity that has
been tried using biotransformation, bioaccumulation, biosorption,
biostimulation, and bioaugmentaion, with limited success. Genetic
engineering has been implemented to develop an organism that can
effectively detoxify radionuclides along with other organic pollutants
present as co-contaminants in the radioactive waste sites."

I have to conclude that the authors are being very, very sloppy with
their phrasing, or they are saying that genetically engineered organisms
can be made that would remove the risk, "detoxify" radionuclides.  There
are few radioisotope in which the chemical toxicity is a greater risk
than the radiological effects (uranium-238 is the only one that comes
readily to mind, though there probably are a few others).  Additionally,
if they are talking about remediation of a site contaminated with mixed
waste they should say that, and not repeatedly say radioactive waste
site.  Their use of the word "store" in connection with "radioactive
waste" certainly implies that they are talking about sites where
radioactive waste has been intentionally placed.  Some of these indeed
have contamination issues that need remediation.  But there is nothing
that I am aware of that can be done with living organisms that will
"detoxify" radioactive materials.  Concentrate them to make clean up
easier; yes (though this actually makes it more "toxic", in that the
activity per volume is higher and the radioactive material is more
readily available to be eaten by other organisms).  Alter the chemical
form of the isotopes; yes.  Speed up the breakdown of some toxic
co-contaminates; indeed yes.  If any of those are what they meant, then
that is what they should have said.