[ RadSafe ] "Waste"

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Wed Sep 26 21:02:36 CDT 2007

Sept. 26

         Yes, this is puzzling.  Are there two Joel Schwartzes?

         One is at Harvard:  He is a professor of Environmental
Epidemiology in the Department of Environmental Health within the
Department of Epidemiology.  This is from Schwartz's biography on the
Harvard web site:  "My air pollution work has examined both acute and
chronic effects of air pollution exposure. Recent research has established
that exposure to fine combustion particles in the air at concentrations
well below current standards are associated with a range of adverse health
effects from increased respiratory symptoms, to increased hospital
admissions, to increased deaths. This work has led to a tightening of the
U.S. air quality standards."  The link is
<http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/faculty/joel-schwartz/>.

         YES  ----  there are TWO Joel Schwartzes.  The one who wrote the
article below criticizing the American Lung Association is at the American
Enterprise Institute.  Link is
<http://www.aei.org/scholars/scholarID.80,filter.all/scholar.asp>.  This
link has a photo of the AEI Schwartz, and the Harvard link (above) has a
photo of the Harvard professor named Joel Schwartz.  They don't look
anything alike.  The professor has a large beard and a full head of
hair.  The AEI Schwartz has no beard, and a receding hairline.

         I do not know how the AEI Schwartz derived his conclusions,
however the mystery is solved.  There are TWO Joel Schwartzes -- one at
Harvard, and one at the  American Enterprise Institute.

Steven Dapra

At 03:31 PM 9/26/07 -0400, Min Sook Kim wrote:

> [...]
>to five times more children with clinically significant deficits in lung
>function living in communities with high outdoor air pollution levels
>compared to communities with low pollution levels. In a subset of children
>who moved away from their original study community, we observed consistent
>associations of changes in lung function growth rates with corresponding
>changes in ambient air pollution exposure between their former and current
>communities of residence. The pollutants most closely associated with lung
>function deficits were NO2, acids (either inorganic, organic, or a
>combination of the four
>acids monitored), PM10, and PM2.5. Several constituents of PM2.5, including
>EC, nitrate, and ammonium, also showed associations with lung function
>growth. However, the inter-correlation among PM pollutants, and their high
>correlations with NO2 and acid, limited our ability to distinguish the
>independent effects of any one of these pollutants.
>Our findings demonstrated effects of air pollution on both new onset asthma
>and asthma exacerbations. Prior to the performance of the CHS, the
>prevailing scientific view was that air pollution made existing asthma
>worse but that it did not cause new cases to develop. Study data showed
>that new cases of asthma are much more likely to occur in high ozone
>communities, especially among those children who exercise regularly and at
>elevated levels. Additionally, our analyses regarding exposure to
>traffic-related air pollution have found associations between proximity to
>high traffic density (a marker for pollutant exposure) and increased risks
>for prevalent asthma among children.
>We have demonstrated that air pollution is related to bronchitic symptoms
>and that asthmatics are more likely to be affected than non-asthmatics.
>Evaluation of the longitudinal data implicated NO2 and organic carbon as
>being responsible for the observed effects. Our results showed that
>short-term changes in O3, but not NO2 or PM10, were associated with a
>substantial increase in school absences from both upper and lower
>respiratory illness. Absences were significantly increased 2 to 3 days
>after exposure and reached a peak on day 5 after exposure. Because
>exposures at the levels observed in this study are common, the increase in
>school absenteeism from respiratory illnesses associated with relatively
>modest day-to day changes in O3 concentration documents an important
>adverse impact of O3 on children's health and well-being.
>Our data also demonstrate an association between ozone levels and birth
>weight of children. High ozone levels during the second or third trimester
>of pregnancy are associated with lower birth weight. Other manuscripts
>resulting from this study have demonstrated the important health effects
>associated with maternal smoking, environmental tobacco smoke, genetics,

[edit a disjointed e-mail heading]