[ RadSafe ] Radioactive coffee? .....NORM ? Activity in tea, rice, milk etc

parthasarathy k s ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Sep 29 23:54:53 CDT 2007

Friends,

I do not know of any measurements of radioactivity in coffee. Several decades ago, a group of scientists from the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai,  measured K-40 in various items. The following table gives some of the values:

Radioactivity in Bq /kg

Potassium-40 in foodstuffs

      Rice

Leafy vegetables

Brinjal

Tapioca

Beetroot

Carrot

Tea

Milk

      40-90

80-220

90-140

85-120

90-120

60-120

450-1020

40

This table is extracted from an article I wrote for the "Nuclear India", a publication from the Department of Atomic Energy
The URL for the issue of Nuclear India is

http://www.dae.gov.in/ni/ni0602/ni0602.htm

When the controversy on alleged  import of dairy products started,. one donor country reportedly threatened  Bangladesh that they will not buy tea from it because it contains K-40!

This table and the process by which the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board arrived at the " Permissible levels of Radionuclides in Food items" became a subject of judicial scrutiny initially at the High Court of  Bombay and later by the Supreme court of India.

Surprisingly I have not seen the values for coffee.

K.S.Parthasarathy