[ RadSafe ] The "Nucular" debate

Danny K McClung danny.mcclung at louisville.edu
Thu Apr 3 09:02:05 CDT 2008

Peter, et.al.

Actually, I believe it comes more from Texas, as in San An-ton-ya (San
Antonio) or La-ray-da (Laredo). Been there, heard it said.....said it,
too.

Dan McClung
University of Louisville,
(that's in Kentucky, and it is pronounced Loo-a-vull! not Looey-ville)

>>> Peter Bossew <peter.bossew at jrc.it> 4/3/2008 3:53 AM >>>
Maybe from French: nucléide ?
pb

Brent Rogers wrote:
> Nuclear isn't the only word with 'nucleus' as it's nucleus to be
> mispronounced often.  I hear professionals in the radiation field
routinely
> saying "Chart of the Nu-clee-ides" instead of “Chart of the
Nuclides".

--

Peter Bossew

European Commission (EC)
Joint Research Centre (JRC)

TP 441, Via Fermi 1
21020 Ispra (VA)
ITALY

Tel. +39 0332 78 9109
Fax. +39 0332 78 5466
Email: peter.bossew at jrc.it

WWW: http://rem.jrc.cec.eu.int

"The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any
circumstances be regarded as stating an official position of the
European
Commission."