[ RadSafe ] The "Nucular" debate

neildm at id.doe.gov neildm at id.doe.gov
Thu Apr 3 16:25:25 CDT 2008

It is a fact that the dialect spoken during your formative years
influences the way your brain processes sound.

I have so far found it a reliable shibboleth (self-referential term!) to
know if a Japanese person spent their childhood in Japan, to have them
say the word "wood". Native Japanese don't say the "dublyou" sound the
same way, so it comes out "uood".  And they can't hear the difference.
Not a statistically valid sample, but it has held true so far. For me.
The Heisenberg Principle applies.

When I took Russian, I couldn't distinguish the hard and soft "sh"
sounds, but learned by trial and error how to do the hard one without
hearing the difference.