[ RadSafe ] I-131 Spill Neutralization

Marcel Schouwenburg M.Schouwenburg at tudelft.nl
Fri Apr 4 02:43:25 CDT 2008

Hi John,

I've no reference by hand, but the first formulation you mention is, as
far as I know, the most common.

It does'nt really matter whether you use 0.1 N or 0.01 N sodium
hydroxide (both solutions are commonly used in stock iodine solutions).
A small practical advantage is that when using 0.01 N sodium hydroxide
there is a smaller change to overshoot in pH.

The purpose of (cold) sodium iodide is to replace the hot iodine ions
with cold iodine ions facilitating the removal of the spoiled activity
(as is eg used in salt separating columns).

With kind regards,

Marcel Schouwenburg
Head / Lecturer Training Centre Delft, Health Physicist, expert level 2
National Centre for Radiation Protection (Dutch abbr. NCSV)
RadSafe Moderator & Listowner
Manager Quality Assurance Reactor Institute Delft (RID)

Delft University of Technology
Faculty of Applied Sciences / Reactor Institute Delft
Mekelweg 15
NL - 2629 JB  DELFT
The Netherlands
T: +31 (0)15 27 86575