[ RadSafe ] Plutonium from Power Reactors

Thu Apr 10 19:17:26 CDT 2008

Hi, Jarro.

I haven't looked at the numbers for a while, but as I recall Pu241 isn't
particularly desirable in fuel, as it doesn't have very good
characteristics, and it has an annoying half-life; neither short enough
to ignore nor long enough to not worry about.  While Am241 is a source
of gamma in the long run, it is minor compared to the activity of all
the fission fragments in fresh SNF (NOTE: Your mileage may vary,
depending on what model reactor, type of fuel, and operating
conditions.)

When you reprocess the fuel to separate out the U and Pu to make into
new fuel, presumably you would separate out the Am, also.  This would
mean that your newly fabricated fuel would only have as much Am241 in it
as in-growth from Pu241 that went into the fuel would cause.  (I admit
to not being an expert on SNF reprocessing, as SOMEBODY screwed that
whole industry up in the US).  In any even, the activity of the
reprocessed fuel would only be an issue for as long as it took for it to
be put into a reactor, and while it might be hotter than completely new
fuel, any group of people who have recently removed spent fuel from that
reactor can deal with it.