[ RadSafe ] New Article: Optimal Stopping Analysis of a Radiation Detection System to Protect Cities from a Nuclear Terrorist Attack

Peter Bossew peter.bossew at jrc.it
Fri Apr 18 02:29:40 CDT 2008

Maybe interesting to some:

Michael P. Atkinson, Zheng Cao, Lawrence M. Wein (2008):
Optimal Stopping Analysis of a Radiation Detection System to Protect
Cities from a Nuclear Terrorist Attack
Risk Analysis 28 (2) , 353–371
doi:10.1111/j.1539-6924.2008.01023.x

Abstract

We formulate and analyze an optimal stopping problem concerning a
terrorist who is attempting to drive a nuclear or radiological weapon
toward a target in a city center. In our model, the terrorist needs to
travel through a two-dimensional lattice containing imperfect radiation
sensors at some of the nodes, and decides at each node whether to
detonate the bomb or proceed. We consider five different scenarios
containing various informational structures and two different sensor
array topologies: the sensors are placed randomly or they form an outer
wall around the periphery of the city. We find that sensors can act as a
deterrent in some cases, and that the government prefers the outer wall
topology unless the sensors have a very low detection probability and
the budget is tight (so that they are sparsely deployed).

pb

--

Peter Bossew

European Commission (EC)
Joint Research Centre (JRC)

TP 441, Via Fermi 1
21020 Ispra (VA)
ITALY

Tel. +39 0332 78 9109
Fax. +39 0332 78 5466
Email: peter.bossew at jrc.it

WWW: http://rem.jrc.cec.eu.int

"The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any
circumstances be regarded as stating an official position of the European
Commission."