[ RadSafe ] [Fwd: [riskanal] 10 Things to Scratch From Your Worry List]]

Maury Siskel maurysis at peoplepc.com
Mon Aug 4 16:12:36 CDT 2008

A friend sent this article and I hope radsafers will seriously(?) enjoy
the reasons to smile. Here are a couple peeks --:

4. Carcinogenic cellphones. Some prominent brain surgeons made news on
Larry King
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/k/larry_king/index.html?inline=nyt-per>’s
show this year with their fears of cellphones, thereby establishing once
and for all that epidemiology is not brain surgery
<http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/surgery/brain-surgery/overview.html?inline=nyt-classifier>
— it’s more complicated <http://www.fumento.com/media/cellphone.html>.

As my colleague Tara Parker-Pope has noted
<http://nytimes.com/2008/06/03/health/03well.html>, there is no known
biological mechanism for the phones’ non-ionizing radiation to cause
cancer
<http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/cancer/overview.html?inline=nyt-classifier>,
and epidemiological studies have failed to find consistent links between
cancer and cellphones.

It’s always possible today’s worried doctors will be vindicated, but I’d
bet they’ll be remembered more like the promoters of the old
cancer-from-power-lines menace — or like James Thurber
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/t/james_thurber/index.html?inline=nyt-per>’s
grandmother, who covered up her wall outlets to stop electricity from
leaking.

Driving while talking on a phone is a definite risk, but you’re better
off worrying about other cars rather than cancer.

8. The Arctic’s missing ice. The meltdown in the Arctic last summer was
bad enough, but this spring there was worse news. A majority of experts
expected even more melting this year, and some scientists created a
media sensation by predicting
<http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change/exclusive-no-ice-at-the-north-pole-855406.html>
that even the North Pole would be ice-free by the end of summer.

Cheers,
Maury&Dog   (Maury Siskel  maurysis at peoplepc.com)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/29/science/29tier.html?ex=1218254400&en=0a757ab9302dfd37&ei=5070&emc=eta1