AW: [ RadSafe ] Nuclear mortality

Rainer.Facius at dlr.de Rainer.Facius at dlr.de
Wed Aug 6 07:23:42 CDT 2008

Ross,

thank you for this important reference:

Atkinson W D, Law D V, Bromley K J.
A decline in mortality from prostate cancer in the UK Atomic Energy Authority workforce
J Radiol Prot 27#4(2007)437-445

The last sentence of their abstract merits singular recognition.

"Our conclusion is that the original observation might have been a chance finding among many significance tests."

In the statistical literature this perennial and pervasive predicament of many radio epidemiological studies is called the "multiple testing" problem, which unfortunately has not yet found a universally reasonable solution.

Applying the 'zero order' solution of Bonferroni by dividing type I error probabilities (e.g. 5%) by the number of tissues/organs tested would discard all (putative statistically significant) associations ever reported of cancer incidence/mortality with low dose occupational radiation exposures as statistical noise - even where one-sided tests (which already postulate a negative association) were applied and even if only an unusual low confidence level of only 90% would be stipulated. The latter two tricks, which facilitate the detection of statistically 'significant' associations, are not uncommon in radio epidemiological studies. (Honni soi qui mal y pense).

For me, their paper corroborates another personal 'bias' or long-standing suspicion.

The know refuted earlier statistically significant associations of prostate cancer with radiation exposure came from case-control (or nested case-control) studies of the UKAEA workforce. I.e., one part of the study population is selected by the very fact of having contracted the disease under study. A frequent observation with such case-control studies is that whenever the same or a comparable population is studied in a cohort study, the significant associations found in the case-control study evaporate. Here once more Atkinson et al. report such an instance.

In principle, if properly done, both study designs should yield - within statistical uncertainty - the same results. In practice, therefore, it appears to me that - ceteris paribus - it must be much more difficult to account properly for possible pitfalls in case of case-control studies than it is in cohort studies. This may be the reason why in the "levels of evidence" of the Oxford Centre for Evidence-based Medicine results from cohort studies always rank above case-control studies.

Based on (only) a case-control study are also the findings on prostate cancer after diagnostic radiation exposures recently advertised in radsafe (Otto Raabe, Do 31.07.2008 20:30).

P Myles P, Evans S, Lophatananon A, Dimitropoulou P, Easton D, Key T, Pocock R, Dearnaley D, Guy M, Edwards S, O'Brien L, Gehr-Swain B, Hall A, Wilkinson R, Eeles R, Muir K.
Diagnostic radiation procedures and risk of prostate cancer.
British Journal of Cancer 98(2008)1852-1856

The authors carefully stop short of claiming a causal relation behind the association they found (although they somewhat uncritically quoted from papers which do exactly this).

Finally, to my knowledge all studies yielding a statistically significant association between lung cancer and exposure to domestic radon are case-control studies again.

My personal bias, as I readily admit it to be, is once more intensified by Atkison et al.:

Beware of conclusions based on case-control studies only.

Regards, Rainer

Dr. Rainer Facius
German Aerospace Center
Institute of Aerospace Medicine