[ RadSafe ] New U detector

Tue Aug 19 11:20:12 CDT 2008

Reserve me a seat on the skeptic side of the aisle.  I see several
non-trivial problems with what is described:

1)  No detector can detect radiation that doesn't hit the probe.  When
you have a weak, shielded source and a small probe that is being moved
fast to survey a lot of containers, geometry is not on your side.

2)  If you are looking for the gammas from uranium, there is a lot of
noise in that part of the spectrum (from what I recall).  Reliably
picking out the photons you are interested in and ignoring the rest
could be hard.

3)  I am far from convinced that uranium is where such screening should
focus.  Uranium is a very bad choice for RDD material, and I am far from
convinced that there are any terrorist organizations that have secretly
set up facilities that enrich U-235 to weapons grade.  I think it would
be more profitable devising a system that would look for plutonium, but
that is probably even harder to find than uranium.

This sound more like a product in search of a market (or, failing that,
a government contract) than a real problem looking for a solution.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl [mailto:radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl] On
Behalf Of Peter Bossew
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 5:36 AM
To: 'radsafelist'
Subject: [ RadSafe ] New U detector

Does anybody know technical details of this machine ?
Experiences ? Opinions ?

thanks,
Peter

-------------

--

Peter Bossew

European Commission (EC)
Joint Research Centre (JRC)

TP 441, Via Fermi 1
21020 Ispra (VA)
ITALY

Tel. +39 0332 78 9109
Fax. +39 0332 78 5466
Email: peter.bossew at jrc.it

http://rem.jrc.ec.europa.eu/

"The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any
circumstances be regarded as stating an official position of the
European Commission."