[ RadSafe ] Communicating with the public and the press

HOWARD.LONG at comcast.net HOWARD.LONG at comcast.net
Tue Aug 19 19:05:12 CDT 2008

Mike and HPs generally,
Fear of low dose radiation, like fear of tomato poisoning
(once a problem for that member of the deadly nightshade family),
may be best overcome by convincing of benefit - not just absence of harm.

Citizens Against a Radioactive Environment, CARE, has a 4 page monthly newsletter,
regular demonstrations at the gates of LLNL, lobbyists in Washington and
an entrenched bureaucracy proclaiming its salvation of the world
(small scale GW scam). It has emasculated LLNL with fearmongering.

I am convinced that more is needed than the ample demonstrations of absence of harm.
Mike is right that there is no more radiation around nuclear plants, but hormesis DOES pertain.
The nuclear power industry's magnificent safety record (and experiments like Mike suggests)
 have not been enough. Ask Myron Pollycove and Jerry Cuttler who have an article,
now in peer review, on Nuclear Plants and Health (not the exact title).

Just as objections to tomatoes were defeated by defaming any who would
deny the public the nutritional value and delicious taste of tomatoes
(which could also make you sick with an overdose) , so
we may need to make villians of any who would deny the public the clear benefit
of low dose radiation, hormesis, in order to calm their fears - nuclear reactor NIMBY.

Haven't you seen the ads for vitamins, exercise programs, etc. claiming cancer prevention,
fetal health, greater longevity, etc? We have better evidence of these with low dose radiation.
So, I have thoriated welding rods on my chair seat (under a pillow) and taped on a belt
(too uncomfortable to wear) hanging over the back of it, in my jealousy of Denver residents.

Viva hormesis (ionizing radiation, sunshine, or tomatoes)

Howard Long

From: "Brennan, Mike (DOH)" <Mike.Brennan at DOH.WA.GOV>