[ RadSafe ] query

Wed Dec 10 13:36:01 CST 2008

Using voting records to tell how a politician feels about a subject is
almost impossible.  Almost any bill with have so many different,
sometimes contradictory, elements and amendments that muddy the water (I
believe intentionally, in some cases) so that incumbents can claim, or
their opponents can charge, to hold almost any position.  I looked at
one of the bill you linked to, and it literally had money going to
projects from one end of the country to the other; Maine to California.

One of the fundamental changes we need to get our economic house in
order is a mechanism to keep bills clean and to the point, rather than
use them a rack to hang unrelated pork on.  But I don't expect to see
that any time soon.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl [mailto:radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl] On
Behalf Of Strickert, Rick
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 10:48 AM
To: Bernard L. Cohen; RadiatSafety
Subject: RE: [ RadSafe ] query

The reasons Sen. 0bama gave in an October 30, 2007, letter he sent to
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Environment and Public Works
Committee Chair Barbara Boxer can be seen in copy of the letter
(http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post_group/NVHQ/CSYB).

However, in 2005 Sen. 0bama voted twice for H.R. 2419
(http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:H.R.2419:), a bill which
included appropriations for the Yucca Mountain repository site
(http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c109:7:./temp/~c109XxiM3W:e85528:
).

1. July 1, 2005
(http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cf
m.cfm?congress=109&session=1&vote=00172)

2. November 14, 2005
(http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cf
m.cfm?congress=109&session=1&vote=00321)

More on 0bama and his changing position nuclear waste can be seen in a
May 15, 2007, Las Vegas Review-Journal editorial by Erin Neff, "Obama
and Yucca" (http://www.lvrj.com/opinion/7509662.html).

Rick Strickert
Austin, TX