[ RadSafe ] Google Alert - depleted uranium

Maury Siskel maurysis at peoplepc.com
Sun Dec 14 11:28:04 CST 2008

Hi Roger, I sent the following ltr to the editor of the Suislaw News:
________
Dear Editor,
Re: Working for peace; Posted: Friday, Dec 12th, 2008. The efforts being
made by Florence resident, Carrie Nicholson, are really great. Such
personal committments are the stuff from which improved international
understandings can be made. I hope that she will learn more, however,
about depleted uranium (DU) munitions. This kind of ammunition is not a
coating applied to bombs or bullets -- DU is the complete munition used
with great effectiveness against tanks and other armored military
vehicles. The radioactivity of these projectiles is so low as to pose no
health hazard on battlefields; inhalation of remanents from the impact
of such a projectile hitting a tank can be toxic. However, the real
concern of a tank crew hit by such a projectile is that such a hit is
fatal and will involve no concern with inhaled dust. These munitions do
not explode in the usual sense; they are extremely heavy rods which melt
the tank armor allowing penetration to destroy the interior of the tank
and its occupants. Many governments and anti-war groups exaggerate the
effects of DU as a means of attracting operating money -- DU is not a
source of deformed births or other weird imaginary radioactive monsters.
Similarly, there are no DU bombs. DU is employed solely as projectiles
fired at tanks. Carrie Nicholson can find a wealth of correct
information about DU munitions without the bogus emotional claims of
health impacts that simply are not correct. I'd be pleased to furnish
online references that would be helpful to her and to other readers of
the Siuslaw News.
Sincerely,
Dureader
_____________

I wish folks better qualified than I am would respond to such items and
hope what I've said is not too far off base. It would be neat if some
professional HP would write a note to Carrie Nicholson with a couple
good links to info on DU. All that can be done is to continue exerting
some pressure opposing the misinformation -- I'm sure she has access to
good stuff -- it all comes down to beliefs and once formed those are
very hard to change.
Best,
Maury&Dog  (Maury Siskel  maurysis at peoplepc.com)