[ RadSafe ] NYC Bans Geiger counters!!!

Wes Van Pelt WesVanPelt at verizon.net
Fri Feb 1 12:44:43 CST 2008

Radsafers,
I see there is continued discussion on the misguided proposed law in NYC.
FYI I attach below the letter I sent to Mayor Bloomberg about a week ago.
Best regards,
Wes
Wesley R. Van Pelt, PhD, CIH, CHP
Wesley R. Van Pelt Associates, Inc.

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg
City Hall
New York, NY 10007

Dear Mayor Bloomberg:

I am aware of the introduction and debate over a pending bill before the New
York City Council known as "Int. No. 650: A Local Law to amend the
administrative code of the City of New York, in relation to permits for
atmospheric biological, chemical, and radiological detectors."

I understand the general intent of NYC to standardize and control the
“alarms” generated when someone might measure the presence of a dangerous
airborne substance.  However, the bill is so poorly crafted that it would
not reach its goal.  Furthermore, the bill is so overreaching and general
that it would require registration and reporting from persons owning smoke
and carbon dioxide detectors in their homes as well as safety and industrial
hygiene professionals who routinely measure airborne levels of dangerous
gasses in the workplace.

Even if the poor definitions were better crafted to the intended purpose,
the overall approach of registering atmospheric detectors is at best
unconventional and cumbersome.  I feel this legislation creates more
concerns than the problem it addresses. Frankly, I am not convinced that
there is a problem.

I recommend you withhold future action on this legislation, invite affected
stakeholders, i.e., citizens, law enforcement, government officials,
professionals in health and safety, and others to begin a dialogue that will
produce a product that protects the health and safety of citizens through
the combined resources of experts in all fields.

Very truly yours,
WESLEY R. VAN PELT ASSOCIATES, Inc.

Wesley R. Van Pelt, Ph.D.
President