[ RadSafe ] Cell phone automatic radiation detection.

Neill Stanford stanford at stanforddosimetry.com
Sat Feb 2 12:56:50 CST 2008

Gosh we Radsafers can be arrogant.
The point of my post was simply "Hey, here is a new idea that seems 180
degrees out from NYC's proposed licensing regulations." But the theme of a
few of the responses was "Boy, these guys are not thinking."

I am not familiar with the Physics program or the College of Engineering or
the Radiation Laboratory at Purdue, but I like to assume, at least until
proven otherwise, that the scientists there are not totally clueless and
their announcement of this work might in fact be because they feel they have
a good start in meeting this extremely challenging task. Just because the
method of filtering out this very well known confounding source term of
nuclear medicine isotopes was not specifically mentioned in this article for
the general public, does not necessarily mean they didn't think of it or
account for it. The big development, as I understand it, is in the software
to analyze the signals, not in the sensors. Heck, the ability to
discriminate these sources from real threats maybe the single biggest
achievement of this system.

But then again, maybe they don't understand how challenging their task
really is, and maybe they would welcome some advice. Contact information is
in the original link.
http://news.uns.purdue.edu/x/2008a/080122FischbachNuclear.html

Neill Stanford, CHP
Stanford Dosimetry