[ RadSafe ] GN 71-1 Transport Container DOT Docs

Syd H. Levine syd.levine at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 4 10:28:45 CST 2008

Thanks for the replies on this, but I am not looking for the IAEA
Certificate of Competent Authority.  What is needed is the DOT 7A paperwork
on the Gulf Nuclear transport container used with the 71-1 three and five
Curie AmBe well logging neutron sources.

I think I have seen this document at one time or another, but cannot now
locate same.  Our state regulators are upset since nobody seems to have a
copy, yet apparently a copy must be with the shipping papers to be legal.

Scores of these transport containers are in daily use all over the US.  Has
anybody else run into this problem?

This is the cylindrical "pig" with an inner and outer steel wall and
containing either WEP or borated foam.  The older spherical version
contained paraffin, and it is my understanding these devices are no longer
permitted as 7A containers.

Thanks.

Syd H. Levine
AnaLog Services, Inc.