[ RadSafe ] RE: WAG THE DOG (UNCLASSIFIED)

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Fri Feb 8 21:03:22 CST 2008

Feb. 8

         Doug is correct.  There are some listmembers --- and much more to
the point --- a *lot* of Americans who are too touchy about criticism of
the United States.  To reiterate what Doug said, this is one of the reasons
the US's reputation has suffered in recent years.  Ken Peterson is also
correct (see below) in what he said about the significance (or lack
thereof) of being in the armed services.

         I say this as someone who was born and raised in the USA and has
lived here for over 50 years; and as someone who was in the service.  I did
not get drafted either.  I enlisted.

Steven Dapra

At 09:35 AM 2/8/08 -0600, Doug Aitken wrote:
>Sorry, guys, but often it seems that an excessive (dare I say jingoistic?)
>zealotry from certain US listmembers in defending their country (and an
>apparent unwillingness to accept a negative statement about this country's
>actions or attitudes) is often the catalyst....
>
>Unwillingness to accept a European (or non-US) point of view is no reason to
>denigrate the person holding that opinion....
>And is one of the reasons that the US reputation has suffered in recent
>years..
>
>But, as Marcel has stated, let's get back to the proper content of the list
>and limit the "reflex action" postings.
>
>Regards to all!
>Doug
>Doug Aitken     Cell phone: 713-562-8585
>QHSE Advisor
>D&M Operations Support
>Schlumberger Technology Corporation
>300 Schlumberger Drive
>Sugar Land TX 77030
>
>Home office: 713-797-0919  Home Fax: 713-797-1757

[edit]

[edit]