[ RadSafe ] Excess relative risk: LNT "Shorthand"

Sandy Perle sandyfl at cox.net
Thu Feb 14 12:01:15 CST 2008

I offer the following points:

1.       One can not categorically equate LNT with "burdens Nuclear power
with dumb regulation, crippling the USA economy"

2.       As far as this statement, "ALARA, which I used for my office
x-rays, is simplistic but deadly when applied to the complex facilities
needed in a nuclear age and may deprive people from Cameron's "essential
trace energy." ALARA is simply a tool that evaluates the radiation work
environment, the key emphasis placed on "Reasonable", therefore, how can
this be defined a being deadly when compared to the complex facilities
needed in a nuclear age? ALARA has been around a long time, subsequent to
ALAP, and for the most part has worked well. Without a philosophy, or
regulatory requirement, there would not have been the progress made, and
perhaps, public confidence would not be on the rise. Yes, economics is key
to the nuclear renaissance we see, but public confidence drives political
thought. If the public were totally against nuclear power, there would be no
renaissance.

Sander C. Perle

President

Mirion Technologies, Inc., Dosimetry Services Division

2652 McGaw Avenue

Irvine, CA 92614

Tel: (949) 296-2306 / (888) 437-1714 Extension 2306

Fax:(949) 296-1144

Global Dosimetry Solutions, Inc. http://www.dosimetry.com/

Mirion Technologies, Inc. http://www.mirion.com/