AW: [ RadSafe ] Excess relative risk

Bernard L. Cohen blc+ at pitt.edu
Mon Feb 18 11:25:23 CST 2008

I am not sure what the question is, but if I interpret it correctly, you
are asking how I use my method of stratification to treat confounding
factors. As an example, consider data on cancer mortality risk, M, vs
radiation exposure, r, where the confounder is economic status as
represented by annual family dollar income, D.  I divide the data into
10 separate data files as (1) cases where D < $5000,  (2) cases where D
= $5000-10,000, (3) cases where D = $10,000-$20,000, .......(9) cases
where D= $100,000 - $150,000, (10) cases where D > $150,000. Note that
for each of these ten data files, confounding by D is of greatly reduced
importance because all cases in the file have essentially the same value
of D. For each of these  ten data files, I study M vs r. If the result
for all ten give reasonably consistent results for M vs r, an average of
these gives the result I am seeking, M vs r, free of confounding by D.