[ RadSafe ] Radon hormesis suggested by a careful case-control study

Otto G. Raabe ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Mon Feb 25 11:12:17 CST 2008

At 11:25 AM 2/24/2008, John Jacobus wrote:
>My understanding is the the LNT hypothesis is based on Low LET
>studies, not high LET radiation studies.  So, it should not "work"
>for radon.  Rather, the radon limits were based on a separate set of
>studies involving miners.
February 25, 2008

LNT is believed to apply to radiation induced cancer for all forms of
ionizing radiation including high LET neutron, proton, and alpha
radiation by the ICRP, the NCRP, and the U.S. EPA.

The EPA published Federal Guidance Report #13 based on LNT
calculations which pretends to give the cancer risks per Bq for just
about every radionuclide to which someone might be exposed including
alpha emitting radionuclides like Ra-226 and Pu-239. Remarkably, none
of the risks estimates in FGR #13 is based on any actual data (such
as the human radium studies).

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
Center for Health & the Environment
University of California
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
E-Mail: ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140