[ RadSafe ] Fe-55 on LSC

Michael Bohan mike.bohan at yale.edu
Fri Feb 29 12:52:32 CST 2008

Hello RadSafers,

I used to leak test an Fe-55 source that was used to QA an x-ray
microscope.  The NRC, in the licensing process, insisted that I had to
demonstrate my LSC efficiency for the wipe tests, so I also had to
purchase a liquid Fe-55 standard ampoule from what was then Isotope
Products Lab, which is now Eckert & Ziegler Isotope Products.  From
that I made a LSC standard with a contained activity of 0.211 uCi.

Using the standard tritium LSC window, I was able to get an efficiency
of around 14 - 20%, over the years I performed the tests.  However, if
you are going to do this and you need to demonstrate the results to
regulators, you will have to manufacture your own standard or have some
one make it for you.  You'll need to make sure they use the same type
of vial and scintillant that you plan to use.  The energy is so low
that quenching and other factors can easily affect your efficiency.

Regards,

Mike Bohan, RSO
Yale-New Haven Hospital
Radiological Physics
20 York St. - WWW 204
New Haven, CT 06510
Tele: (203) 688-2950
Fax: (203) 688-8682
Email: mike.bohan at yale.edu

This message originates from Yale New Haven Health System. The
information contained in this message may be privileged and
confidential. If you are the intended recipient, you must maintain this
message in a secure and confidential manner. If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and destroy
this message. Thank you.