[ RadSafe ] Detecting DU at a distance via beta particle emission.

Geo>K0FF GEOelectronics at netscape.com
Mon Jan 7 14:56:24 CST 2008

">I have a simple question:  If U-235 is removed in the separation from
U-238,
> why isn't U-234 removed at the same time???
>
> Ed Baratta"

Not all the U-235 is removed, only down to 0.2-0.3%. Sometimes only down to
0.4% from 0.711 %. ANY reduction
from the natural ratio of U-238/U-235 qualifies the end product to be called
DU. Probably not all the U-234 is removed either, but the U-234 comes back
(decay daughter), the U-235 never does . Someone else will have to comment
on the U-234 levels initially left in DU metal, if any, I don't know.

Every atom of Pa-234m that decays, turns into U-234. Because of the great
disparity between the two half-lives, 1.2 minutes vs. 240,000 years, the
contribution of U-234 to the radiation from DU is minimal.

Bottom line, if you have U-238, you will son have Th-234, Pa-234m and U-234.

These used to be called Uranium I, Uranium  X1, Uranium X2 and Uranium
II.(Glasstone)

Yes there are X-ray produced by the beta particles due Bremsstrahlung that
can be detected using low energy gamma scintillator probes. That is another
subject and I would like to hear from someone who has used this method in
practice.
Alpha spectroscopy is the main method for detecting small amounts of DU, but
that is not at a distance, therefore yet another (and interesting) subject.

Same deal with Radium. Assuming a 100% efficient refinement, all the lower
daughters will again reach equilibrium in a period of time.
It is inevitable in a decay chain where the parent has a long half-life
compared to the daughters.

DU will never reach equilibrium in human time scale because U-238 has a long
half-life yes, but the daughter U0234 and Th-230 also have long half lives,
so the refinement will only result in partial equilibrium.

My interest in DU is only scientific, not political. I am not anti-radiation
in any way.

George Dowell
GEOelectronics at netscape.com