[ RadSafe ] Detecting DU at a distance via beta particle emission.

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 16:55:27 CST 2008

Hi -

Although secular equilibrium between U-238 and Th-234 (24.10 ± 0.03 d HL) &
Pa-234 (1.159 ± 0.016 m HL) is reached in about 200 days, secular
equilibrium with U-234 would require on the order of 1 million years to
achieve (based on Bateman, 1910).  Following enrichment, some U-235 and
U-234 is present in DU, but a potential problem occurs in the enriched
uranium product.

Secular disequilibrium in the environment is a result of two processes: 1)
natural decay; and 2) geochemical speciation and differential aqueous
mobilization / mineralization of various species in the decay chain.

Because of the secular disequilibrium between U-238 and U-234 as well as
disequilibrium in the "bottom-half" of the decay chain, measurement of
chemical U is not so straightforward based on total gamma, unless one uses
the 1001 KeV photopeak from the Pa-234m decay.  From my "read" of the
nuclear data, Pa-234m has a 1.159 ± 0.016 m half-life and emits a 1001.025 ±
0.022 KeV gamma with a probability of 0.832 ± 0.010 based on IAEA-CRP-XG
data.  It also has a 766.358 ± 0.020 KeV gamma with a probability of 0.318 ±
0.005.

http://www-nds.iaea.org/sgnucdat/a3.htm

I would like to refer to IAEA-TECDOC-1396 to the Cogema paper "Downstream
constraints on product specification and ISL mining methods", G. Capus,
COGEMA, Velizy, Cedex, France, pp.213-220.

http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/te_1396_web.pdf

The U-234 creates a radiological issue when the source of Natural U is
enriched in U-234 by geochemical processes (Physicists beware! Yes, there is
a difference!) Because of the alpha recoil during U-238 decay, formation of
Th-234 and Pa-234, the U-234 has been dislodged from the uraninite or
coffinite mineral lattice and is much more prone to leaching!  Thus the
U-234 in the mined product can be significantly higher than equilibrium
conditions would allow.

The enrichment of U-234 when the U-234/total U ratio is high leads to a
product which has some undesirable radiological properties based on the ASTM
C996 standard.

This problems tends to be in ISL (in situ Leach) mineable sandstone deposits
and not in other types of deposits such as the Proterozoic
Unconformity-Related types mined in Canada and Australia.

To quote George Campus:

Abstract. As uranium is more and more considered as a commodity, miners are
producing natural uranium “as it comes out of the ground”, forgetting
sometimes that its isotopic composition can vary. Focusing on the 234U
content of commercial concentrates coming from mining operations, it is
reported that some batches are presenting difficulties. For these batches,
ASTM C996 Standard specification requirements are not always met. It seems
that this is only the case for certain uranium batches recovered through
solution mining. Out of specification batches reaching the market now are
more likely to cause problems than in the past. The main reason is that
downstream from the front-end of the fuel cycle, the average U235 assay
tends to increase significantly with the fuel burnup. And the economic ratio
between uranium and SWUs prices is leading towards high tails assay. As ISL
is increasing its output, it is important to understand the phenomenon at
its roots and analyze the consequences of the problem. This paper is aimed
at recalling the major facts explaining the U234 content variations and
their potential consequences. To conclude, possible mitigation measures are
discussed.

Dan ii

Dan W. McCarn, Geologist; 3118 Pebble Lake Drive; Sugar Land, TX 77479; USA
Cell: +1-505-710-3600; Home: +1-281-903-7667; Fax: +1-713-241-1012;
Office: +1-713-241-5726; Austria:  +43-676-725-6622
HotGreenChile at gmail.com