[ RadSafe ] [Nuclear News] Drought could shut down nuclear powerplants

neildm at id.doe.gov neildm at id.doe.gov
Wed Jan 23 18:34:58 CST 2008

 I'm sure it's not just nuclear plants with this problem.  I grew up
practically on the shore of a cooling lake for a CP&L coal fired plant
near Arden / Skyland, NC. (If you want to Google it, it's Lake Julian)
As part of an advanced Biology course in high school, we did some
studies on the lake.  I, myself, measured the temperature in a little
cove at 80 degrees F - in October! Normal water temperatures in any
other lake in the area are more like 50 - 60 even in midsummer.

Dave Neil

Drought could shut down nuclear power plants