[ RadSafe ] NYC Council bill on detectors: Simple question

Thu Jan 31 15:57:36 CST 2008

This is indeed something that will be interesting to follow.  I see two
major problems, however:

(1) There are a LOT of legit sources that will be quite strong enough to
be picked up by a system like this.  Patients that have received any of
a number of radio-pharmaceutical and who are out moving about are
probably the single biggest group.  The hardware/software/people of this
system would have to be able to identify these sources, then track them
so they don't keep being discovered again as they move from one place to
another.  Each urban area would require 24/7 coverage by some pretty
knowledgeable rad folks, with big areas requiring several at a time.  At
a rough guess, a thousand or so rad experts, plus supporting IT, admin,
etc.  Not cheap, not easy.

(2) I completely agree that for the system to function the person with
the phone can not be notified, as their reaction would tip off the bad
guys.  I see, however, problems with selling that concept to the public.
I know a number of people who would feel that everyone else not knowing
is fine, but THEY want to know it theirs alarms, so they can run away.