[ RadSafe ] HPS "Radiation Answers" Website

Richard L. Hess lists at richardhess.com
Wed Jul 16 11:06:30 CDT 2008

At the top right of at least some of the pages is a switch between
U.S. and SI units, labelled "rem" and "sv". There is a formatting
problem for the "sv" setting on at least the Myths page which I've
drawn their attention to.

They note on the website that they are required by U.S. law to use
the "obsolete" units rather than the SI units, just like the U.S. and
Burma and perhaps one other are the only countries not to have
officially adopted the SI system. Having spent most of my life in the
U.S., but now living in Canada, I don't see the big deal about
switching to metric, and I wished the U.S. had in the 1970s. I was
gung-ho for the change, and even my employer at the time, a major
U.S. television network, handed out metric conversion cardboard slide
rules to help us all with the change, which then fizzled.

But here in Canada, you can generally find measurements in both
systems, just like you can find text in both official languages.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                   richard at richardhess.com
Aurora, Ontario, Canada       http://www.richardhess.com/