[ RadSafe ] Yucca Mountain / o.4 Sv extra radiation over 10 years.... / Miller and McClain, 2007

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Sun Jul 6 19:10:37 CDT 2008

July 6

         My comments (SD) interspersed.

At 04:46 PM 7/6/08 -0700, James Salsman wrote:
>Roger Helbig wrote:
>
> >  DU makes very poor dirty bomb material because it is not radioactive
> enough
>
>Another former Colonel who pretends that people won't laugh when he
>ignores the proven mutagenicty.  Martin et al (1991) "A cytogenetic
>study of men occupationally exposed to uranium" Br J Ind Med 48(2)
>98-102.

SD:

         James you're out of your mind.  For a dirty bomb (or any type of
bomb) to be effective it must do damage at the time it is exploded, not
(possibly) 30 or 40 years in the future.

> >  Salsman is not dumb, he is crafty
>
>To be honest, I'm not very good at destroying soldiers' health by
>trying to keep a secret about stuff that was published as early as the
>1950s.  There are others here with championship-level skills.

SD:

         You're very good at blathering away for months on end.

> > he has cost the taxpayer large sums of money with his petitions
>
>A tiny fraction of the cost of treating Dr. Kang's patients.
>
>It is people such as Cols. Helbig and Cherry who are causing billions
>of dollars of damage to the economy by gunning for the health of their
>own soldiers as well as trying to shoot down a perfectly legitimate
>reason to start scheduling transits to Yucca Mountain first thing in
>the morning.  A very tangled web that they have woven holding them so
>tight that they are unable to do a thing about spent fuel casks rated
>for merely eight (8) hours under water in this day of absurdly
>increasing carbon.

SD:

         If you, James, want shipments to Yucca Mountain to begin, why
don't you petition Sen. Reid of Nevada who is violently opposed to opening
YM?  Why don't you petition the no-nuke kooks who are also obstructing its
opening?  RADSAFErs are not opposed to opening YM, it's your fellow
travelers who are.  Talk to them.  What do you think the likelihood is that
a spent fuel cask is going to spend eight hours under water?  This
complaint is so silly it defies description.

>There are a hell of a lot more people who can be helped by recognizing
>the mutagenicity of DU than can be harmed.  Families.  Men, women, and
>children in the heartland.  And we have the officially sanctioned myth
>that Helbig spouts, telling us that there's nothing to worry about.

SD:

         Once again, Danton.  (And naughty, naughty, James.  You used a bad
word.)

>What do we want?  Viable nuclear power or soldiers with sick kids?
>
>Even if a magnitude 10 earthquake hits right under Yucca Mountain, the
>people of Las Vegas will be safer, healthier from communicable
>diseases, and better defended if the fuel was in the Yucca tunnels
>than in overflow casks nearly anywhere in lower 49 United States.
>
>James Salsman

SD:

         Again, tell it to Sen. Reid.