[ RadSafe ] Sources of Thorium

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 18:44:55 CDT 2008

Hi Marty:

Perhaps contact parthasarathy k s [ksparth at yahoo.co.uk] in India.  There is
quite a bit of interest in processing the monazite beach placers for thorium
and some work on a thorium fuel cycle.

A company such as Molycorp also produces other rare earths from monazite
sands, and are likely to have a some production capacity for thorium as
well.

http://www.molycorp.com/data_sheets/lanthology_m-z.pdf

START OF QUOTE
<< The processing of monazite ores begins with gravity, electrostatic and
magnetic separation to produce a monazite concentrate with a Ln oxide
content of ? 60 %. Monazite can be cracked by reaction with sulfuric acid,
like bastnasite, to yield a mixture of sulfates but the usual process is
with alkali [3]. The concentrate is finely ground and digested with an
excess of caustic soda at?150°C for several hours.

(Ln,Th)Po4 + NaOH => Na3PO4 + Ln(OH)3 + Th(OH)4

The phosphate portion produces a soluble sodium tripolyphosphate while the
lanthanides, along with thorium, form insoluble hydroxides (hydrated oxides)
that can be recovered.

The next step is hydrochloric acid attack, at ?70 °C and pH 3-4, on the
solids portion. The thorium remains insoluble and a crude thorium hydroxide
can be filtered off.>>
END OF QUOTE

Although interest in thorium lags far behind uranium, these are the OECD
(NEA) / IAEA numbers for RAR and EAR resources.

RAR - Reasonably Assured Resources; EAR - Estimated Additional Resources
Country          RAR Th (tonnes)   EAR Th (tonnes)
Brazil               606,000           700,000
Turkey               380,000           500,000
India                319,000              -
United States        137,000           295,000
Norway               132,000           132,000
Greenland             54,000            32,000
Canada                45,000           128,000
Australia             19,000              -
South Africa          18,000              -
Egypt                 15,000           309,000
Other Countries      505,000              -
World Total        2,230,000         2,130,000

Dan ii

Dan W. McCarn, Geologist; 3118 Pebble Lake Drive; Sugar Land, TX 77479; USA
HotGreenChile at gmail.com   mccarn at unileoben.ac.at   UConcentrate at gmail.com