[ RadSafe ] Metric Tonne

franz.schoenhofer at chello.at franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Wed Jul 9 05:46:24 CDT 2008

.
Dan, thank you for this sentence. I have never understood why commonly the chemical formula of yellow cake is given as U3O8 - also on RADSAFE. I know U3O8 (pitchblende) to be deep black like "pitch" (Pechblende in German) - one of the possible origins of the name. Furthermore I have very nice samples of uranium ore with the characteristic black spots of pitchblende, collected by myself at a mining site in the Great Canyon area. I brought some pieces recently to my friends in Poland, crossing two borders (Austria - Czech Republic and CzR - Poland) without being arrested. Furthermore it would not make sense to convert leached uranium into an insoluble compound.

Best regards,

Franz

Yellowcake is commonly produced as: