[ RadSafe ] 0.4 Sv extra radiation over 10 years may protect from much teratogenesis

Bjorn Cedervall bcradsafers at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 10 00:09:18 CDT 2008

To James Salesman:

None of the references you posted seems relevant for my request:
References that show that radiation induced damage (change in the DNA code) to a germ cell line was transferred to the next generation in such a way that some disease, malformation or other phenotypic defect could be detected in a statistically solid way. I am still interested to know if there are such references.

The references you give are about effects on somatic cells but I referred only to germ cells.

Bjorn Cedervall      bcradsafers at hotmail.com-------------------------------------------> Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 14:50:05 -0700> From: BenjB4 at gmail.com> To: bcradsafers at hotmail.com; radsafe at radlab.nl> Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] o.4 Sv extra radiation over 10 years may protect from much teratogenesis> > Dear Dr. Cedervall,> > Thank you for your request:> > > Now, I doubt that I heard of a teratogen that gave heritable _effects_ (good or bad) so please give me the reference(s).> > I just posted them here:> http://lists.radlab.nl/pipermail/radsafe/2008-July/010491.html> > In particular here:> > "Martin el al (1991) reported that levels of chromosomal aberration,> sister chromatid exchange, and dicentrics measured in nuclear fuel> workers increase proportionally with uranium exposure. McDairmid et al> (2004), in their 10-year follow-up of 39 veterans exposed to DU in> friendly fire incidents during the 1991 Gulf war, reported that the> study participants exposed to the highest levels of DU showed a> statistically significant increase in chromosomal aberrations as> compared with low-exposure groups.> > "Pellmar et al (1999) ... the kidneys adapted to the high levels [of> DU from pellets implanted in rats' muscles] during chromic exposure.> > "Neuman and colleagues (1948) [found that] uranium has a high affinity> to bone.... young growing rats or rats deficient in dietary calcium> incorporated greater amounts of uranium than did the controls" (which> can support delayed action, as seen in 1991-1998 Iraq.)> > "The neurophysiological effect of uranium exposure has been under> investigation for many decades.... in frogs, uranyl ions potentiate> the twitch response of ... muscles.> > "Pellmar et al (1999) demonstrated that DU crosses the blood brain> barrier and accumulates in the hippocampus, causing> electrophysiological changes for up to 18 months post-exposure.> Briner and Murray (2005) tested behavioral effects and brain lipid> peroxidation.... Open-field behavior was altered [as soon as] 2 weeks> of exposure [in males] and female rats demonstrated behaviorial> changes after six months of exposure.... Barber et al (2005) ... found> that uranium content in all areas of the brain tested increased> rapidly after injection and remained elevated....> > "In exposure scenarios including exposure to DU, the observation that> the chemical toxic effects from uranium compounds ... occur at> exposure levels lower than those causing radiological toxicity effects> is thought to be true for reproductive effects as well.> > "The BEIR IV report (1988) ... cautions against minimizing the risk> until more studies become available."> > "Miller et al (1998) observed the transformation of human osteoblast> cells to a tumorigenic phenotype after exposure to uranyl chloride....> The DU-treated cells also demonstrated anchorage-independent growth,> increased levels of the of the k-ras oncogene, and decreased levels of> the Rb tumor suppressor protein... the transformed cells formed tumors> in nude mice.> > "Whereas studies using rat models showed that DU causes solid-state> induction of solid tumors.... 76% of all mice implanted with DU> pellets ... developed leukemia [in 200 days, after injection with> murine hematopoietic cells.] In contrast, only 10% of control mice> developed leukemia.> > -- the above is from Alexandria C. Miller and David McClain (2007) "A> Review of Depleted Uranium Biological Effects: In Vitro and In Vivo> Studies" Rev Environ Health 22(1) 75-89.> > James Salsman