[ RadSafe ] RE: Proliferation

BLHamrick at aol.com BLHamrick at aol.com
Fri Jul 11 20:45:37 CDT 2008

Correcting the Franklin quote:

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little  temporary
safety,

In a message dated 7/11/2008 6:41:37 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
BLHamrick at aol.com writes:

Gary,

I don't think the choices you outline below are the  only  choices.  I think
that this generation perceives the  suicide attacks of the  last 10 or so
years
to be something unique in  the history of mankind.  I  think this is a
misperception. I  think the  Kamikaze pilots of World War II were regarded
with similar
fear  and disbelief.  I expect one would find a repetition of  these type of
attacks throughout history, if one were inclined to  look.

I think we need to be more realistic in our threat  assessment.   Whoever has
an advantage in this world will always  be a  target.  Whether it's the
threat
of suicide bombers, or  rogue nuclear  weapons, and whether from a
predominantly Muslim  community, or  Japanese community, or the Communists,
or the  Timothy
McVeigh's of our own country, we will always be at risk, so  long as we have
something of value.  The question for us, in my  opinion, is not how we
ensure
we are all safe for all time (which is  not possible), but how, in  the face
of so many people's fears, do we  maintain those things which made  this
country
great to begin with  (our freedom, our rule of law, our checks and  balances,
and our  tolerance of difference).

To bring this back around to radiation  safety, I think that this country
has
spent a ridiculous amount of  money looking for an ineffective weapon (i.e.,
an RDD), while  failing to adequately address planning for the aftermath of a

potentially significant event (i.e., an IND).  I believe we have done  this,
because finding radioactive material in any form is easy,  while finding an
actual IND or planning for it's potential  detonation is difficult.  One of
the
reasons we keep chasing  our tails in this manner is because it is
politically
expedient to  act as though one is protecting the public by "picking  the
low-hanging fruit" (i.e., the RDDs).  By doing this, in the end,  we  aren't
really
adding anything to the public health and safety; in  fact, we  are diverting
resources from issues that do have a health  and safety  impact.  We are
hurting
ourselves in the name of  protecting ourselves, and  apparently hoping the
public never knows  the difference.  That's insulting  to the profession of
health
physics and insulting to the public, in my  opinion.

I think  this country is destroying its greatest value by succumbing to
fear,
and I'm terribly sorry to see that happening.

Barbara L.  Hamrick

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a  little  temporary
safety,
deserve neither liberty." - Benjamin  Franklin

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." -  Franklin  Roosevelt