[ RadSafe ] emergency petition with the NRC

Mon Jul 14 18:59:22 CDT 2008

Um, James; you DO know what is in the dry cask storage at commercial
reactor facilities, don't you?  And what the casks are like?  How,
exactly, do you think that uranium is going to be released if a cask is
submerged?

As for your letter getting Yucca Mountain opened; good luck with that.
Personally, I think Yucca Mountain would be a great central location to
hold spent fuel at until we get around to reprocessing it.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl [mailto:radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl] On
Behalf Of James Salsman
Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2008 10:27 PM
To: radsafelist
Subject: [ RadSafe ] emergency petition with the NRC

R. William Borchardt
Executive Director for Operations
U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission

Dear Mr. Borchardt,

I request an emergency proceeding pursuant to 10 CFR section 2.202 to
modify the licenses of all dry cask spent fuel storage facilities with
dry casks rated for less than 72 hours submerged.

I ask that the Department of Energy's Yucca Mountain application filed
June, 2008 be approved for construction on a tentative basis. If the
Yucca Mountain application is still under review when the facility is
ready, I ask that the licenses of all dry cask spent fuel storage
facilities with dry casks rated for less than 72 hours submerged be
allowed to transport their spent fuel to the Yucca Mountain on a
tentative basis in accordance with the Department of Energy's
application for Yucca Mountain.  The following facts form the basis of
this request:

1.  Uranium is a mutagen and a teratogen.  Soluble uranium entering
drinking water supplies causes birth defects, leukemia, and immune
system disorders. (Alexandria C. Miller and David McClain, 2007 and
earlier National Research Council reviews.)

2.  Dry cask storage uses casks rated for less than 72 hours submerged.
Many have been rated at less than 10 hours submerged. (10 CFR 54.19
applications and other NRC publications)

3.  Flood risk is increasing at a greater basis than when current cask
storage and the procedure for approving national storage facilities were
designed.
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2008/20080619_climatereport.html

4. Recent events, such as the tunnel fires, have shown that the design
specifications of the spent fuel storage cask may be typically overcome
by real-world conditions.
http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/nuregs/contract/cr6886/

Therefore, it is in the best interests of the people of the United
States and the Commission to immediately approve construction of the
Yucca Mountain national storage facility on a tentative basis.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

James Salsman