[ RadSafe ] U-236 in DU

Peter Bossew peter.bossew at jrc.it
Fri Jul 18 06:19:57 CDT 2008

Some data:

1)
In the UNEP BiH report of 2003 some figures on 236U, 239+240Pu and 237Np
in DU ammunition samples are given. For 236U, typically 0.003 % m/m were
found, some 10^1 Bq/kg 239/240Pu and some Bq/kg 237Np. (pages 16, 33 and
215ff (Annex H))

UNEP: Depleted Uranium in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Post-conflict
environmental Assessment. Report 2003.

Similar:
UNEP: Depleted Uranium in Serbia and Montenegro. Post-conflict
environmental Assessment in the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. Report 2002.
Annex K, pp.152 ff

UNEP: Depleted Uranium in Kosovo. Post-conflict environmental Assessment
. Report 2001.
Annex VII, pp. 157 ff

These UNEP reports used to be available for free on the UNEP website,
but not any more. I have them as pdf (~20 MB, unfortunately).

2)
WISE Uranium fact sheet, P. Diehl:
http://www.wise-uranium.org/pdf/durepe.pdf
Acc. this document, 236U and transuranics almost do not contribute to dose.

3)
Trueman E. R., Black S. and Read D. (2004): Characterisation of depleted
uranium (DU) from an unfired CHARM-3 penetrator. Sci. Tot Env. 327, 337
- 340.
Has data also on 238Pu, 241, 243Am and 99Tc.

4)
Salbu B. et al. (2005): Oxidation state of uranium in depleted uranium
particles from Kuwait. JER 78, 125 - 135.
In the analysed DU samples, 236/238U ratios 3-4 o.m. higher than in nat.
U ore (Table 2)

5)
McLaughlin J. P. et al. (2003): Actinide analysis of a depleted uranium
penetrator from a 1999 target site in southern Serbia. JER 64, 155 -156.
236U, 239+240, 238Pu found.

6)
Jia et al. (2004): Concentration, distribution and characteristics of
depleted uranium (DU) in the Kosovo ecosystem: A comparison with the
uranium behaviour in the environment uncontaminated by DU. J.
Radioanalyt. Nucl. Chem. 260 (3), 481 - 494.

typically 0.003 % m/m 236U

Similar in
Jia et al. (2006): Concentration and characteristics of depleted uranium
in biological and water samples collected in Bosnia and Herzegovina. JER
89, 172 - 187.
Jia et al. (2005): Concentration and characteristics of depleted uranium
in water, air and biological samples collected in Serbia and Montenegro.
ARI 63, 381 - 399

pb.

--

Peter Bossew

European Commission (EC)
Joint Research Centre (JRC)

TP 441, Via Fermi 1
21020 Ispra (VA)
ITALY

Tel. +39 0332 78 9109
Fax. +39 0332 78 5466
Email: peter.bossew at jrc.it

http://rem.jrc.ec.europa.eu/

"The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any
circumstances be regarded as stating an official position of the European
Commission."