[ RadSafe ] RE: Toxic Countertops

Peter Bossew peter.bossew at jrc.it
Mon Jul 28 02:51:43 CDT 2008

Kai, Dan, and all interested:

about Rn generation and transport:

1) In "ordinary" dry soils, the emanation power is 0.2-0.3, and if one
wants to be really conservative, one should set as much as 0.5. In wet
soil (10% water m/m) the emanation power can be doubled. - There is
abundant literature about this.

2) Often diffusion accounts only for the minor part of Rn transport in
soil. More efficient is convective transport, driven by pressure
differences. In particular buildings can produce a stack effect which
literally sucks Rn out of the soil, into the basement or ground floor of
the building. Also changes in ground water level can give rise to
"bursts" of indoor Rn conc.

The main geologic factor is soil or rock permeability, even more
important than U content. There are examples for very high soil gas and
indoor air Rn concentrations, without any extravagant U activity in
underlying soil or rock. Soil gas concentrations of a few 100 kBq/m^3,
and indoor concentrations of up to a few  kBq/m^3 can be produced
without much U in the ground. (I know of one example of almost 20
kBq/m^3 indoor, without particularly high U). - Of course this requires
particularly poor insulation of basements or ground floors, typically
found in older buildings.

regards,
Peter

--

Peter Bossew

European Commission (EC)
Joint Research Centre (JRC)

TP 441, Via Fermi 1
21020 Ispra (VA)
ITALY

Tel. +39 0332 78 9109
Fax. +39 0332 78 5466
Email: peter.bossew at jrc.it

http://rem.jrc.ec.europa.eu/

"The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any
circumstances be regarded as stating an official position of the European
Commission."