[ RadSafe ] Radon travel in granite

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 03:08:10 CDT 2008

Hi Al:

I appreciate your remarks.  I was using some numbers for hydrologic
conductivity / permeability in unfractured granites that were quite low.

I'll convert pCi/g to ppm tomorrow, that I can do easily. Typical Wyoming
granites are 10 ppm which when weathered, provide enough U to make deposits.
Anatectic granites such as in Namibia run up to 100 ppm, but are not found
here in the States and are mineable as ore deposits for U.

I would think that it would be quite unusual to find a granite body with an
average of 50 ppm.  That may be possible if there are intrabatholithic
veins, but outside of veinlets or locally enriched granites, I would believe
10 ppm would be "normal".

But then marine shales are also high, such as the Chattanooga shale with
about 100 ppm U.  It's not mineable because extraction from the organic
matrix is almost impossible.

I was looking for U238 in your report, and it was missing.  Was that an
oversight?

Dan ii

Dan W. McCarn, Geologist; 3118 Pebble Lake Drive; Sugar Land, TX 77479; USA
HotGreenChile at gmail.com   UConcentrate at gmail.com