[ RadSafe ] Radon travel in granite

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 17:02:46 CDT 2008

Elmer:

On my calculation, I get 2.97 ug per pCi U-238 as you do.

Assuming secular equilibrium between U-238 and U-234 (age of granite > 2
million years)

ug : U-238 = 2.9752E+00, U-235 = 2.1316E-02, U-234 = 1.6072E-04 ug ; Summed
= 2.9967 ug U-Natural
pCi: U-238 = 1.0000    , U-235 = 0.0461    , U-234 = 1.0000     pCi; Summed
= 2.0461 pCi U-Natural

Total activity is 2.0461 pCi per 2.9967 ug U-Nat uranium in secular
equilibrium or

0.6828 pCi / ug U-Nat total activity

Your comments related to ingrowth are essential to understand in order to
interpret the meaning of the analyses.  The sample would need to be canned
for 30 days or so if crushed.

But, if I assume that the U-235 activity is 37.83 pCi / g given Al's lab
report,

Then:

1) the activity of U-238 should be 821.2363 pCi/g, which is
   in rough equilibrium with Ra-226 (986.95 pCi/g) in Al's report;

2) the total U-natural should be 2460.96 ug / g or about 0.25% U-Nat for the
rock.

That would be enough to mine if commercial quantities actually showed this
endowment, which I strongly doubt for a "plain" granite.

When granitic batholiths are intruded, the last remaining watery portions of
the magma, having gone through differential precipitation (Bowen Reaction
Series), is enriched in uranium and sometimes other metals e.g. gold.  These
quartz-rich remainders can form intra-batholithic intrusions or
peri-batholithic intrusions enriched in uranium. I suspect that Al's rock
may, in fact, be something of this nature.

I'd say that the only way would be in a vein within a granite, or a
pegmatite, but not a granite itself, and the samples were "high-graded" to
show a hot-spot, not representative of the overall composition of the
granite.  Of course what I'd call a pegmatite, and someone else may call
granite from the dimension stone business, may be something of an issue!

For an "average" granite composed of 10 ppm U (e.g. Wyoming),
the average activity would be 6.828 pCi/g.

For the Rossing anatectic granite of 100 ppm U (0.01% U) in Namibia (active
uranium mine):
The average activity would be 68.28 pCi/g

I hope my numbers are correct!

Dan ii

Dan W. McCarn, Geologist; 3118 Pebble Lake Drive; Sugar Land, TX 77479; USA
HotGreenChile at gmail.com   UConcentrate at gmail.com