[ RadSafe ] Radon Travel in Granite

Dan McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 01:31:44 CDT 2008

Hello Group:

Before we go any further in this thread, let me say that the definition of a
granite in the dimension stone business and the definition by a
geologist are not the same. Apparently pegmatites, migmatites, and
schists are likely listed as granites.  Perhaps Al can illuminate this dark
sector of the dimension stone business.  But the next time I go to Verona
for the annual world dimension stone exhibition, I'll be sure to care my
scintilation counter and perhaps my gamma spectormeter.  Perhaps the
European Federation of Geologists can send a delegation!

Al communicated with me separately that indeed he did have a "white" granite
from Namibia which was moderately radioactive.  This may likely be an
alaskitic (white, quartz-rich) granite possibly associated with the
alaskites of the Rossing U deposit.

But also, importantly, my estimate of the 0.25% total U from the apparent
pegmatite is only supported by the U-235 activity.  If this is in error,
then my estimate is also in error.  It would indeed be interesting to get a
total extractable U chemical assay from several samples (hot nitric acid
leach) to confirm the amount of U in the rock.

But I would also veer away from having an ore-grade piece of rock in the
kitchen or dressing-up the floors of my house.

Have a good day!

Dan ii

Dan W McCarn, Geologist
Albuquerque & Houston