[ RadSafe ] Canada proposes refinery, dump

Bob Cherry bobcherry at satx.rr.com
Fri Jun 6 06:36:11 CDT 2008

Ms. Lam:

Regarding your article with subject title in today's Detroit Free Press,
please look up the definition of "dump" and then verify that it applies to
the "underground radioactive waste repository" that is one of the subjects
of your article. I believe that it does not.

The word "dump" has connotations that anti-nuclear activists seem to have
successfully foisted upon the public and upon journalists who are not
careful with use of their vocabulary.

I am not taking sides on the repository issue, but I am objecting to your
biased, sloppy, and lazy use of the English language in a news article in my
hometown newspaper.

Bob Cherry, PhD, CHP

Former Detroiter (Cass Tech 1964)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080606/NEWS05/806060413/10
01/NLETTER09
<http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080606/NEWS05/806060413/1
001/NLETTER09&source=nletter-news> &source=nletter-news